Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Top Ten Tuesdays


10 Things That Have Helped Me Cope With This Illness Over The Last Year

          A Top Ten Tuesday list!! Aha!! I bet y’all thought I’d forget or otherwise not get a list up for today; after all, if there is one thing I’m consistent at, it’s being inconsistent.

          Over the last year or so, I’ve made some changes. They weren't huge changes, but changes just the same and it has made all the difference in the world. Maybe I shouldn’t call them changes, but more like, discoveries. I didn’t make any rash decisions like quitting smoking or enjoying my beer, that would just be cray-cray!!

          So, I figured I’d list the top ten things that have helped me cope with this illness over the past year or so. By the way; do I still have tachy…yes, do I still have anxiety issues…yes, do I still spend an inordinate amount of time on the toilet…um, yes. Do I still have my “in bed all day” days…yes. Do I eat better…no. Do I exercise…no.

Basically, I’ve decided to LIVE my life in spite of this illness, so here goes, in no particular order, well, maybe in some semblance of order:

1.  My Lord and Savior. I’m still not where I should be spiritually and won’t be until I see His face, but I love Him and He loves me, and that’s all that matters.

2.  My Big Handsome and my gems. They have had to live with this illness right along with me and they have been nothing short of heroes in my mind.

3.  Focusing on what’s important. For the first few years, while trying to get a handle on this crazy illness, I would inundate myself with information. I would eat, sleep and live my illness. I read everything I could get my hands on via the internet, not that it’s not important to be informed, but I was getting to an unhealthy level. I would wake in the morning and have charts to fill out, complete with bp and hr readings, whether I slept well, how much I slept, what I ate, how much I ate, whether I exercised, and for how long; the list goes on and on. See where I’m going here?? My life revolved around feeling like $hit and I was documenting every $hitty moment. I was so busy writing and recording everything that was going on with me physically, I was allowing my life to pass me right by. I cannot tell you the last time I took a bp reading. That is not to say that I condone not keeping track of one’s health, but now I have learned to “read” my body and do what it says.

4. Getting involved in Support Groups via FB. When I first started out I was a part of just about every support group I could join. Now, while I’m still a part of some, I focus on two; the two that have helped me the most:  POTSY Paradise: https://www.facebook.com/groups/potsyparadise/.  and Coping With Chronic Illness: https://www.facebook.com/groups/664857806880898/. These two groups have been a godsend to me. They were started by a beautiful woman who has become a cherished friend along the way. As I said, at first, I was part of just about every group out there. What I found out was that some of the groups were not helping, but hindering my journey forward. They were filled with complaining (believe me, I can do my fair share of complaining just see some of my other posts), filled with drama, filled with people that were actually lying about their illness, or lack thereof to obtain sympathy (granted those people needed help for other reasons). With the two above mentioned groups, I have found people that share and care. I have found people that are supportive and encouraging. Most importantly, I have found that I can support and encourage others; that I believe, is so important. The sweet lady that runs the above groups reminds me, on a daily basis, that I am more than my illness, and guess what she’s taught me…I AM MORE THAN MY ILLNESS!! And so is anyone that is reading this post.

5.  In the words of Christopher Robin: “You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” At the onset of my illness, I basically became an agoraphobe. I wouldn’t leave the house. I had to call Big Handsome home on more than one occasion, because I was freaking out. I would spend days in bed. My poor Big Handsome was suffering, my gems were suffering, and I was suffering. It took a good, long while for Christopher’s words to sink in. Know what? I am brave, I am strong, and I am smart. I push myself to do more. Back then, I wouldn’t drive, I couldn’t drive; now, I drive…why you ask? Because I must. Life goes on whether I’m sick or not. I can choose to be a part of it, or I can curl up in bed hoping for the day I wake and the illness is gone. Well, this illness isn’t going away anytime soon, so I best just learn to live with it. I best just learn to LIVE.

6.  I’ve been bitten by the “Art Bug”. Last year, I had the opportunity to teach an Art Appreciation class at our homeschool co-op. I kicked myself at first for agreeing to such a task, but it has opened my eyes to so many possibilities. I’ve been scrapbooking again, I’ve been bookbinding again, I’ve been painting again, I’ve been crafting again. What a breath of fresh air, which leads me to the next one on my list.

7.  Joining an Art Journaling FB group. Again, no negativity, no complaining, no drama, just pure support and encouragement. I’m posting pictures of my work and people put the sweetest comments. Trust me, I’m no artist, but I’m trying and I’m having loads of fun, and that is all that matters to me.

8.  I’ve discovered YouTube!! Who knew that if you ever wanted to learn something new, all you have to do is look it up on YouTube! I still have insomnia, but what better way to spend my time than to watch a video on how to bind a book, how to make a junk journal, how to make gelli prints, how to, how to, how to?? Now, if they could only tell me how to keep my house clean and organized…oh, wait, they CAN!! All I have to do is look it up. Alas, I have no time for that, because I’m having too much fun creating art J

9.  Spending time with the family. We have a second home now (I know, first world probz). We go down just about every weekend to enjoy spending time with each other. It’s on the water (via canal) so we have our boat down there waiting each weekend to be taken to the beach across the bay or out to the ocean to fish. Even if we don’t take a boat ride, it’s super cool to just get away for the weekend and enjoy time with the fam. We might go to the flea market, or visit with friends, sometimes we just sit in our breezeway and listen to old time country music and sing along. I’ve learned along the way to enjoy the little things.

10. Being thankful. I’ve learned a lot over the last year or so. So much has happened in my life that I am thankful for. I’ve experienced joy in so many ways. I’ve experienced sadness as well (that’s a whole other post), but I choose not to dwell on all of my limitations.  I have chosen joy and happiness, and you can too! Does this mean that I don’t have bad days…no, I still experience bad days, but I rest up, do what I can, when I can, and wait for the new day to dawn. Tomorrow is always a new day with so many possibilities.

Be well my friends!

Always remember that even though we might feel helpless at times, we shall never be hopeless J

No comments:

Post a Comment