Monday, January 7, 2013

Going From Barely Moving To Full Throttle


Over the last 3+ years I have had my ups and downs. The first year was the toughest; getting diagnosed and barely treated, I’ve had to find my “new” normal. I went from being a very busy homeschooling mom complete with teaching, park days, piano lessons, guitar lessons, AWANAS, leader of HS park group, PE classes, co-op classes, field trips…you get the picture. I was always busy, always on the go. Then I was struck down by POTS, and it has changed my life.

Instead of being involved with all of the above, I was reduced to being pretty much house bound. I quit driving altogether at one point. It has just been in the last year that I have been able to find some semblance of normalcy and attempt to get my life back on track.

Over the last few years I have begun to get back into at least some of the old activities. I have begun to drive a little and now that my daughter is of driving age, she usually does most of the driving.

Here’s what I mean about going from “barely moving” to “full throttle”…

This is my plan for the coming week:

Monday: Normal day pretty much. Wake, get gems up for schooling, and begin wash. Then, I have to take dd to a doctor visit as she has not been feeling well lately. She is anemic and hasn’t been taking her iron regularly, but also has been complaining of “not feeling well” in general. A friend of hers has/had Epstein Barr and I wonder if she might have it as well. We’ll see at the doctor tomorrow.

Tuesday: Wake and get started for the day, wake gems for schooling and take dd for her volunteer work.

Wednesday: SOS, then take dd to her college class. It will be her first day of college courses, though she is a high school junior. We are so proud of her!! BTW, college class is 40 minutes round trip twice and I’ve only just begun driving again!

Thursday: Regular day…

Friday: SOS, and kids begin their co-op classes and I begin teaching my poetry class at co-op as well. I’m already thankful that it only is for twelve weeks.

So…I’ve gone from barely leaving my home to being gone 4 out of the 5 days of the week doing something-or-other. I really hope I can handle it!!

 



 

2 comments:

  1. It always takes me off guard to think of what life was like before dysautonomia and what it is now. Heres to balance
    Carrie @ Just Mildly Medicated

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie,

    Well, I made it! Although this morning I had to double up on the anxiety meds and by the time I got to my classroom to teach my 21 gems poetry, my HR was probably close to 150!! The whole time driving there (30 minutes) I was praying..."give me peace, give me peace, help me to not hurl, just get us there in one piece!" Good news is that I pushed through and successfully taught, and got through the rest of the day. So glad it is the weekend! Two days to recover and it's back to SOS next week. Here's to hoping you are feeling well :)

    ReplyDelete