Saturday, November 2, 2013

Just Another Day in Paradise


I’ve mentioned before that I was on a hiatus of sorts from my illness. I found myself spending an inordinate amount of time dwelling on my vital signs, symptoms, research, trying to find new doctors and on and on and on. For me it was quite literally sucking the life right out of me. During this time, when I was realizing that certainly there has to be something out there that is positive; I ran across a Facebook group called POTSY Paradise. It began as a group for those with Dysautonomia, but has since blossomed into a group for those with chronic illness.


“POTSY Paradise is a place where those with a form of Dysautonomia, and related conditions, can come together to talk about their interests, dreams, hopes, lives. While we have Dysautonomia, or take care of someone who does, we rarely talk about it here. In Paradise, we are more than our illness. We are a group of people, who share a unique bond--one founded  in illness, but kept together through friendships that form by sharing more about ourselves. All that is said in POTSY Paradise, respectfully stays in POTSY Paradise. This is our GETAWAY from our illness, a place we can talk and be us, not our illness. Welcome, my friends, to POTSY Paradise.”

POTSY Paradise is now one of my “go-to” sites. There, I’m able to share in life outside my illness. I’m able to share about small victories, my pets, my family, my newly found artistic side. Through this site, not only do I feel free to share about my life, but am truly blessed to share in others’ lives as well. POTSY Paradise is truly an uplifting, encouraging blessing that I am so thankful to have happened upon. Truth be told, I really don’t believe that I just “happened” upon it. I believe I was lead to it, and for that I am surely thankful.

Recently an article was published in “The Lima News” (Ohio) about the site and its administrator’s story (Linda Burgess Parsons). It’s a great article and I’m so glad to see that word about this disorder is getting out there.

 

So…a huge thank you and the richest of blessings to POTSY Paradise for a lovely respite from this disorder.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you shared this! I have been shying away from online dysautonomia groups because many people use them just to complain. I totally support venting, but I also don't want to be constantly reminded of how much being ill sucks. A place where people can share their interests outside of their illness sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right there with ya' Lindsay!! I'd been in a rut for a while, thus the hiatus from the blog. I was just so tired of being ill and reading about it and talking about it and writing about it and on and on and on. I came upon this group and it's been awesome!! I give all props to Linda Burgess Parsons (the admin) :) It's a wonderful site to go to when you need a reprieve from all things suckish! No one (that I've seen anyway) complains. The group is all about our lives without illness. I'm so glad I found it. Love it to pieces!! Check it out :) Richest blessings to you!!

    ReplyDelete