Monday, June 24, 2013

Semi Update


Well…I have a partial update on the goings on around here. Seems my household has been inundated with medical issues as of late, and surprisingly enough, they aren’t mine. Mine have had to be put on the back burner, since I have to gear up all my energies to help take care of Big Handsome and our Beauty Queen, aka-teenage daughter.

I haven’t been on the blog for a bit as I’ve been to the hospital on three separate occasions for testing with Big Handsome and Beauty Queen as well as various doctor’s appointments. It’s quite the different story when it is your loved ones and not you. I would so gladly take their place, if I could, so they wouldn’t have to go through it at all.

First, Big Handsome. He’s my American Express card-I never leave home without him. He’s also like the Energizer Bunny…he just keeps going, and going, and going. I really don’t know how he does it. I wish I could harness his resolve and perseverance.

Life was just goin’ along and then, BAM, a few weeks ago I come out to the patio for my coffee to see my Big Handsome lazily stretched out on the couch trying to muster up the motivation to work out (I don’t even know what that feels like, not to mention, in 25 years, I never knew Big Handsome could even do lazy!) Anywho, Big Handsome has a strict workout schedule, that’s why I knew something was up the moment I came out to see him sprawled on the couch. Big Handsome doesn’t “sprawl”.

When I come out on the weekends, usually around 8:30-9:00am, Big Handsome has been up since 5am (or before), has completed some work on his computer for the office, has drank about a pot of coffee, worked out and has begun to clean the pool. This particular Sunday, I came out to him sprawled on the couch…my first thought was WTH? Do I see an ER visit in the near future? I have to tell you that we avoid the ER like to plague. We are not the type to go for any ol’ willy nilly thing, but to see Big Handsome sprawled…I have to admit, I was instantly worried.

He told me that he just didn’t “feel right”; he couldn’t really explain it. Finally, I did some Q&A on him and got him to at least try to explain what was going on. I asked,  “Are you in pain?” No. “Do you think you are coming down with something?” No “Do you have a fever?” No.  “Do we need to go to the ER or Urgent Care?” Hell no. Ok…what next? He finally was able to tell me that he had pressure in his head, although no headache. He said he felt this pressure around his eyes and ears, but was not in any pain. He expressed that it feels like his body is not catching up with his brain (the infamous brain fog). He told me that his eyes were having a hard time focusing and he wasn’t able to make a smooth transition when looking in one direction and then switching to another. Also, his blood pressure was a bit elevated and basically, he just felt like crap.

I called the doctor and he went in. We’d just had blood work done recently and it all came back wonderfully. He expressed to the doctor what he was feeling and she wrote out some prescriptions for some tests at the hospital. He went in for the tests and even though the radiologists aren’t doctors and can’t really tell you much of anything, both of them told Big Handsome that there didn’t appear to be anything on the scans that looked emergent. Great news. Bad news is that he still feels crappy, still has the pressure and is getting frustrated with not feeling well and not knowing what is going on. Long story short, or maybe it’s too late for that; I’ll make another appointment today to get him in to the doctor to see if we can get to the bottom of things. Big Handsome seems to think it might be a residual ear infection left over from a cold he had some months ago. I sure hope it is nothing serious.

Now on to Beauty Queen. She went in for her routine echocardiogram a few weeks ago and the doctor noticed something that wasn’t right. Something was showing up on the sonogram that had not shown up on the previous ones. She took the case to a Cardio conference at the Children’s Hospital and they suggested more testing. So Beauty Queen was hooked up to  a 30 day Holter Monitor and scheduled for an MRI/MRA and echocardiogram. It was a family affair as we all trekked up to the Hospital together to support our Beauty Queen who was beyond all worry. Thankfully, they were able to give her a sedative, which unfortunately didn’t kick in until thirty minutes into the test. Also, Big Handsome was able to be in the testing room with her; he kept his hand on her head to reassure her he was right there with her. Everything went fine until 15 minutes before the test was to end and she piped up with the need to use the facilities (totally another story, and quite humorous by the way Beauty Queen tells it). Needless to say, she had to hold “it” lest they have to start the whole test over again. Good news is that the cardiologist there told my husband that there didn’t seem to be anything that he saw on the scans that we should be concerned about. It was a long, exhausting day.

Now we just have to wait until we go into see her cardiologist with the final test results.

So, phone calls once again are on tap for me this morning. In fact, gotta go make some now.

This too shall pass, this too shall pass, this too shall pass…

 

No comments:

Post a Comment