Monday, December 24, 2012

This Christmas Season


Well Christmas is almost here and this is the first year that I’m actually excited, since getting sick. The Christmas season…such a wonderful time, usually. Thankfully I have had more good days than bad as of late. Before I got sick, the kids and I would go all out decorating the house. They used to love to make a count-down paper chain every year in anticipation of the big day (btw, my eldest (16) made a paper chain for this year, thankfully some things never change). We never did the whole “Santa” thing in our house; I know, some of you probably think my children were deprived,  we don’t see it that way as Christmas has always been the celebration of the birth of Jesus in our home.
This year is the first year since getting sick that I’ve been able to do any Christmas shopping outside the confines of my bedroom. Of course, Big Handsome has accompanied me and it was so nice to get out and about. Don’t get me wrong, I still feel yucky most days, but I’ve learned to push through and try to enjoy the little things.

We were even able to decorate the house, which hasn’t really been accomplished in its fullness for quite some time. The kids decorated the tree after I put on the lights (something that sent me directly to the couch after wrapping the lights around and around and around). They did a spectacular job.

We are looking forward to a quiet holiday spent together as a family. We don’t go away for the holidays any more. We used to visit family every year when the kids were little and we loved it. Now that they are older though (as are we) we love to just stay in the comfort of our own home and enjoy the day together.

This year we will enjoy the company of my father the day after Christmas. He will stay with us for a few days. This will be a bittersweet holiday for us as this is the first Christmas we will spend without my mother who went to her heavenly home this past fall (following seven long years of sickness). We don’t get to spend that much time with my father as he lives halfway across the country, so this will be a special holiday for us none the less.

Richest blessings to all of you for a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment