Wednesday, December 12, 2012

My (One and Only) Trip to the ER


After the day my world came crashing down I awoke at 5am the next morning to my husband asking me how I felt and asking if he needed to stay home from work with me. I told him no, I thought I felt ok. I finally awakened for the day at 7am. I felt ok, nothing weird as of yet. I went about my normal routine…cup of coffee on the patio, checking email, having my morning cig. (yes, I still smoke, again please don’t judge). A few minutes into my morning routine, my body started going haywire again. I called my husband and told him, “It’s happening again”, he told me he was leaving work right then and to hang in there he’d be right home (in about 30 minutes). After hanging up with him, I called the cardiologist on her cell, yes, at 7am. I explained my situation, the racing heart rate, the tingling, the rigidity of my facial muscles and feeling like I was about to pass out. I again asked if the medication might be the culprit. She thought that this wasn’t the case and told me that if I felt like I was passing out to have the kids call 911. I told her that my husband was on his way home from work and she told me that if I still felt the same when he got home to head to the ER.

Needless, to say, an hour later, I found myself in the ER. My heart rate was 144. Luckily, they took me right in, relatively speaking (they don’t mess around with the heart). I lay in the ER bed feeling again like I could sleep for a lifetime. They gave me one of those patch things to slow my heart rate down. I lay there for a while dozing in and out wondering what on earth was going on with me. Then the nurse came in to give me a pill, I asked what it was for and she told me it was to lower my heart rate. Then she said she needed to cut it in half; even though the doctor had prescribed the whole pill, she took it upon herself to give me just half as “she has seen what a whole pill can do to a person”. At first, I had no idea what she was talking about and I was so out of it, I didn’t know up from down. Later I would find out that had she given me the whole pill, I probably wouldn’t be here writing this blog. My heart rate went down to 30 (on half the pill, imagine what a whole one would have done!) The alarm kept going off and when I finally awoke from my foggy state I asked the nurse, if a heart rate of 30 was normal, because it seemed low to me; she expressed that yes, 30 was low. That’s when they took off that patch (nitro-something). I will always hold nurses in the highest regard, especially the one that potentially saved my life.

A bit later they said that they were admitting me into the hospital for observation. Meanwhile, my husband was at home with the kids getting them situated with some friends as we have no family around where we live. Actually, now that I think about it, my in-laws were in town, but they were working (that’s another story). They came by the ER after work to visit and to pray with me. I couldn’t help the nagging feeling though that they were looking at me like I was some kind of weirdo and thinking that I should just “buck up”. Don’t ask me why I felt this way; I was really out of it at the time. After they left I was alone in a hospital not knowing what was happening to me. This was possibly the loneliest moment of my life. The hospital set me up in a room complete with beeping monitors hours after I had entered the ER. Still they had no idea what was going on. My husband came back with some essentials only to get back home to deal with the kids and the animals.

Later in the evening, an electrophysiologist came into my room to explain some things to me. Don’t even ask me to remember all he said as most days I can’t remember what I had for breakfast. In fact, it’s amazing all the things I do remember about this horrible ordeal. At any rate, I remember him saying that I didn’t have high blood pressure or high cholesterol and I should stop taking the medication that the cardiologist had put me on immediately. He didn’t have to tell me twice! I also remember him telling me to set up an appointment at his office to get a Holter Monitor. He wanted to monitor my heart for 21 days and then we’d go from there. He asked me if I had ever fainted and I told him, one time when I was a teenager.

The next morning the attending ER doctor came in to discharge me, again telling me that from my blood work and various tests that I, in fact, did not have high blood pressure nor did I have high cholesterol and to stop taking the medication that I had been prescribed. I guess I was told twice!! He then looked up the medication on his hand-held doohickey and showed me some side effects of the medication I was on; both meds could cause tachycardia and arrhythmias.

Hmmmm…

By the way, the original cardiologist never showed up at the hospital. Don’t know why, she knew I was there as I gave her name and number to the ER nurse. Her practice is in a different county although the hospitals in her county are owned by the same hospitals in our county. Go figure. I never saw her again although I did speak to her on the phone once after my ER visit.

To this day, my husband and I wonder if the medication that the cardiologist put me on (Norvasc 10mg) might have brought my blood pressure down too low thus, initiating the tachycardia. We may never know. There is also the question of why my heart rate was going up for no apparent reason before I even saw the cardiologist.

Questions, questions, and more questions…sadly not as many answers.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment